This butternut squash recipe is at the top of our list! With such a unique mixture of flavors from the pepitas and dried plums, combined with the sweet honey-lime vinaigrette, this recipe is sure to become one of your favorites as well. Plus, it will give you an energy-revving boost with butternut squash’s antioxidant and fiber-rich carbohydrates, while the protein in the pepitas will keep your energy level on even keel and make you feel satisfied.
- 2 medium butternut squash(each weighing approx 2 lbs) – peel, remove seeds, cut into 1″ pieces – approx. 4 cups cubed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup dried plums (or any dried fruit of your choice)
- ½ cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds) toasted
- Honey-Lime Vinaigrette
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 Tbsp honey or agave nectar, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F – Spray rimmed baking sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Toast the pepitas by placing them on baking sheet in single layer – cook in 350°F oven for 6 minutes or until turn slightly brown – remove from oven
- Roast the butternut squash: Roast for 20 minutes; then, carefully turn mixture with spatula and roast for an additional 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, and turn on the broiler. Place the pan under the broiler and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the squash begins to brown on the edges.
- Toss squash with olive oil, add pepitas and dried plums
- Whisk together in a small bowl the lime juice, honey or agave, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl until the dressing comes together. Taste, and adjust to your taste. The dressing should be more tart than sweet.
Nutrition Information: Per serving
Calories: 130, Fat: 8.8g, Carbohydrate: 13.1g, Sugar: 6.4g, Fiber: 1.6g, Protein: 2.4g