If sticking to your New Year’s resolution to eat healthier is challenging because you don’t know simple, tasty, and healthy dishes, then try this delish Beet Pesto! Its’ flavor goes a long way so you don’t have to use that much—so it will keep the meal light, so you won’t feel sluggish. It’s not only delish, but super versatile! We love to eat it on whole wheat pasta with veggies, as a spread on sandwiches, as a dip for crackers, and as an alternative to bruschetta on toast!
- 1 medium beet
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup low fat parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sesame oil (you can also use olive oil if you prefer)
- Roast the beet in the oven until soft (this can be done ahead of time). Once cooked, peel the beet.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the beet, garlic, pine nuts, cheese, salt, and pepper until smooth. While the food processor is turned on, slowly add the oil until slightly more liquid.
This pesto tastes great topped with low fat ricotta cheese as well! Keep in mind that a little bit goes a long way in terms of flavor!
Do you make variations on the typical basil pesto? What ingredients do you use?