Beans, beans, they’re good for your heart, the more you eat the more you’re … SMART!! Although you may have been ready to say something else, this is true!
All types of beans including black, white, red, pinto and the like, provide a source of protein similar to that of a piece of meat. But unlike most protein sources, beans also provide fiber to help to keep your digestive tract in good working order.
Beans, part of the legume family, are high in B vitamins, fiber, iron, and antioxidants. What does that mean for you? It means they are filled with natural energy sources!
Get your energy for dinner tonight with this 5 minute bean burrito—:
5 Minute Bean Burrito:
To save time, we simply toss the ingredients on the tortilla, make an open-faced pile-up and toss in the microwave. But feel free to be neat and roll yours up!
- 1 Whole Wheat Wrap (preferably 120 calories or less, otherwise, cut it smaller to be the equivalent)
- ½ cup canned beans, rinsed (any bean of your choice, we like black)
- 1 ounce shredded low-fat cheese
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- Fresh squeezed lime juice, to taste
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup chopped lettuce (or any veggies you have around—we toss cut up mushrooms, peppers, even carrots on this baby!)
Spread beans on the tortilla, top with cheese and heat in microwave approximately 1 minute or until cheese melts. Pile on the other ingredients and eat!
This meal will clock in around 300 calories and is packed with fiber!
Note: If you prefer to use raw beans, from previous experiences, we have seen that the trouble with beans comes with cooking them. How long should they be cooked for? How hard should they be when finished? Don’t worry! Here are our tips to “de-complicate” the bean cooking process!
- TIME IS KEY! Beans need time to cook. Make sure you set aside around 2-3 for each pot of beans to cook fully.
- PRE-SOAK for a BETTER RESULT: Pre-soaking your beans may lead to more evenly tender product!
- TEMPERATURE: Bring beans to a boil initially and then lower to a simmer for the remaining cooking time. This keeps their skin intact and keeps the beans firm, not mushy.
For a 10-day Weight Loss Jumpstart and Detox Plan and more delicious healthy recipes like this, please check out The Nutrition Twins’ Veggie Cure!
If you love our recipes, you may also enjoy these fabulous recipes:
Banana Kiwi Weight Loss Smoothie< How can you add different types of beans to your daily diet?