This luscious stuffed bell pepper recipe is satisfying in every way imaginable. You can use green or yellow bell pepper, depending which flavor you enjoy the most. Each ingredient adds its own health benefits. The brown rice adds healthy energy-revving carbohydrates, the lean ground turkey is packed with protein to extend that energy boost, while the peppers and onions serve as the perfect veggie addition to keep that energy up even longer with their fiber. Plus, the veggies vitamin C boosts immunity, helping to keep you feeling strong.
You’ll love these so much you’ll be singing “He’s a peppa, she’s a peppa, you gotta try this Italian Stuffed Peppa!”
Italian Stuffed Peppers
Minutes to Prepare: 45
Minutes to Cook: 35
Number of Servings: 4
4 large red bell peppers
1 cup of cooked brown rice
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can diced tomatoes (with italian seasoning)
tomato sauce (enough to cover the bottom of a casserole dish)
2 tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and insides.
3. Cover the bottom of a casserole dish with a thin layer of tomato sauce and place the peppers on top.
4. In a pan, add canola oil and sauté the onions until translucent (5-7 minutes)
5. Add minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the ground turkey and brown.
6. In a large bowl, combine the cooked ground turkey, brown rice, and diced tomatoes.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste. Scoop mixture into each bell pepper half.
8. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes.
*To bring more excitement and flavor to the dish, sprinkle non-fat or low-fat mozzarella cheese on top, and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Calories: 296, Fat: 8.6g, Carbohydrates: 30.6g, Fiber: 4.2g, Protein: 24.4g
What ingredients do you put in your stuffed peppers?