The flavor of sweet summer corn is like candy to us! And this creamy & crunchy salad is so packed with flavor that you may not even want to add the delish dressing—especially because the rich avocado is so creamy, that you truly don’t even need it!
Another cool part about this meal? It’s great for your entire body—from your brain to your skin and eyes!
Here’s to your health! Here are just a few nutritional perks in this salad:
• It’s a powerhouse when it comes to protecting against macular degeneration (the leading cause of blindness in the U.S) and chronic eye disease! Corn contains the good-for-your-eyes antioxidant caretonoids lutein and zeaxanthin, while avocados are rich in good-for-you monounsaturated fats which enhance the absorption of the caretonoids.
• It helps to protect against chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and cancer thanks to Blueberries’ powerful antioxidants.
• It contains the magical skin and hair nourishing ingredients–antioxidants like vitamin C, beta-carotene and vitamin E thanks to tomatoes, and avocados. These veggies are so potent that in our book The Nutrition Twins’ Veggie Cure we refer to them as the skin fillers, plumpers, and Botox and hair conditioners of the food kingdom.
- They naturally are rich in water, so they create moisture within your skin, plumping the cells and filling the crevices in your skin and preventing a dry, flakey scalp and the hair to match.
- Vitamin C keeps skin youthful and elastic by aiding in collagen formation, while beta carotene helps give a healthy glow and hue while protecting skin from sun damage.
- Antioxidants guard against premature aging by helping to prevent cell damage while all of these veggies contain powerful anti-inflammatory compounds that give skin a smoother appearance.
- Plus avocado’s mono-unsaturated fat acts as an additional nourishing lotion for the skin.
- An additional skin bonus? The eggs have vitamin A, D, and omega-3s all which help to keep your skin healthy. We go for Eggland’s Best because they have 4 times the vitamin D, and twice the omega- 3’s compared to other eggs.
Sweet Summer Egg Salad
3 ears sweet corn, cleaned and shucked
3 eggs (we use Eggland’s Best because they have 25% less saturated fat than other eggs)
¾ cup blueberries
1 large, ripe and juicy tomato
½ avocado (about 2 ounces)
6 ounces nonfat yogurt
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon or lime juice
Simply mix all ingredients (except the dressing ingredients) together in a medium to large bowl. We used all fresh ingredients and it was delicious! If ingredients are not super fresh, you may want to add the dressing. Whisk it together and stir it into the salad. YUM!
Nutrition Facts (without dressing) Per serving: 203 Calories, 27 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 10 g protein, 6 g fiber, 60 g sodium
Nutrition Facts (with dressing) Per serving: 230 Calories, 29 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 15 g protein, 6 g fiber, 188 g sodium
The Nutrition Twins’s Work with Eggland’s Best to help people make nutritious choices