Blueberry Banana Smoothie
If you’ve read our other recipes and blogs, it’s no surprise to you that these twin sister, veggie-loving registered dietitians and personal trainers have a big ‘ole sweet tooth. And while we’ve got many recipes and tricks to prevent our nasty canines 😉 from getting the best of us, we find that when we discover a delicious sweetie to satisfy us, it hooks us for a good long while.
So a few months ago, when chocolate was calling our names a bit too often, we found a super sweet (and healthy!) alternative and we’ve been turning to it ever since. Frozen, slightly defrosted blueberries (still chilled, but defrosted enough so their sweet juice seeps its way into the bottom of the bowl. Yum!) This addictive treat (aka as blue crack 😉 ) is now making its way into many of our latest creations—and our taste buds, brain and waistline are thankful!
Psst… if you like this recipe, you may want to try:
Say hello to this healthy and delicious smoothie—a sweet and energizing combo including berries and tropical fruits that you can whip up for two people in the morning and both of you can start your day off right!
Here’s what you’ll love:
- This is a high-protein and low-calorie smoothie without any protein powder! So if you’re not a fan of protein powder, this is for you!
- Just using all natural fruits, vegetables and yogurt, this sister will give your morning a boost of energy.
- Kale! A veggie for breakfast and you’d never even realize! Kale adds so many bonuses including it’s special “detox” capabilities as it aids the liver in both phases of its detox. Blueberries flood your body with anti-aging and disease-fighting phytonutrients and anti-inflammatory compounds as well as bloat-fighting potassium and water!
Blueberries paired with pineapples, add fiber and vitamin C to keep your immune system strong.
Blueberry Banana Smoothie
Makes 2 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
¾ cup raw curly kale, broken into 1” pieces, loosely packed (2 fistfuls)
½ cup frozen, unsweetened blueberries
½ cup frozen, unsweetened pineapple
1 large frozen banana, broken in half
2 teaspoons coconut flakes, unsweetened
1 cup plain Greek nonfat yogurt
Splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (optional)
Place all ingredients in the blender, with yogurt being closest to the blade. Blend together all ingredients until smooth and there are no large food chunks.
Nutrition Analysis (for 1 serving): 177 calories, 32 grams carbs, 0 grams fat, 15 grams protein, 62 milligrams sodium, 7 grams fiber
- ¾ cup raw curly kale, broken into 1" pieces, loosely packed (2 fistfuls)
- ½ cup frozen, unsweetened blueberries
- ½ cup frozen, unsweetened pineapple
- 1 large frozen banana, broken in half
- 2 teaspoons coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1 cup plain Greek nonfat yogurt
- Splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (optional)
- Place all ingredients in the blender, with yogurt being closest to the blade. Blend together until smooth and there are no large food chunks.