Yes… drink this BEFORE the BBQ or event!
As you know, I (Lyssie) have confessed…I tend to have a few (some may say, a bit odd) favorite foods. BUT in my defense, some of Tammy’s favorites are just as odd, or at least almost as unusual! And if you didn’t know about them, you can check a few of them out here.
Funny thing is, some of my loves 😉 like ginger, lime and mint were actually born, thanks to YOU! That’s right, after you’ve requested detox drinks and flushes (hello Orange-Lime Sparkling Refresher, Lemon Mint Detox Drink, Morning Detox Shot, Sparkling Cucumber Detox and Refresher, Citrus Reboot and Detox Flush, and Kale Recharge Smoothie) to get back on the healthy track after overdoing it–and to get there ASAP…
I went tasting and testing…
And thanks to you, not only did I get some healthy and bloat –free bonuses, I fell in love! 🙂 –with some of my favorite foods. And with some of my favorite lovers, Tammy and I’ve created this lil’ number to prevent you from ever truly needing the “aftermath” or “recovery” detox drinks that you often ask for (although you can use this after an overindulgence too). Some of you and some of our clients who have had some of our “pre-party drinks” like this have been requesting these lil’ saviors that start you off on the right foot, help you to feel light and bloat-free, prevent you from going off the overindulgence deep-end in the first place–and that help to protect your body, if you do! So here you have it, your party pleaser 😉
Oh–and one more thing! Great news! There is no wrong or right way to make this drink–that’s one of the reasons we love it– Intimidation factor -gone! You can use as much or as little of any of the ingredients as you want–and even if you have to leave an ingredient out-that’s OK! You’ll see why below–and what the benefits are that you’ll reap regardless-and why we especially recommend it before hitting the pool party!
Psst… you’ll never believe what actually inspired this “detox” drink. It was a cocktail at NYC’s trendy Standard Hotel’s Biergarten. Really! We can’t believe it ourselves–but the drink had so many components that help to fight inflammation and the damage from too much overindulgence. Plus it had anti-bloat ingredients and even a few potential fat-burning advantages–minus the splash of vodka that was in that drink, of course! 😉
Why we love this drink and why works it’s magic BEFORE the event:
1.It instantly gets your mind and body on the healthy track–i.e.- you’ll feel clean, lean & healthy and want to do less damage when you get to the event 😉
…and sometimes, the most important piece is just getting your mind on the healthy track–even if aren’t able to make this drink, at least drink a huge glass of water–because just knowing you are starting your day by doing something good for your body can help set the tone for the entire day!
2. It helps to fill your stomach so you eat less when you get to the event. Yes!–Drink this so you don’t show up ravenous and can avoid downing the hourderves– and the loads of calories (and the bloat!) that comes with those salty, high calorie numbers!
3. You’ll arrive at the event with a beauty and health leg- up–oh yeah! (Check this out for our fave ways to arrive bloat free.) Since this drink counteracts sodium and the puffiness and bloat that comes with it, you’ll feel lighter. We’re the first to admit we don’t enjoy feeling bloated from having too much salt or being constipated. That’s why you better believe this drink both hydrates and provides potassium to help you to flush out bloating sodium from your body, “de-puffing” you by restoring normal hydration status.
—-and when you stay hydrated and drink plenty of fluid, you’ll get your digestive tract moving and prevent any bloat from constipation! Who’s got your back…and your belly, baby? We do! 🙂
Tips to remember: There is no wrong way to make this! Simply add the ingredients and remember to drink it–and you’re golden! 😉
So cool!!–Even more reasons you benefit your health and beauty when you arrive at the event after this drink (If you’re a science nerd like us, you’ll love this part too 😉 ) :
The vitamin C:
It’s coming from the raspberries, lime and from the mint and will make your skin glow by promoting collagen formation. (Plus being hydrated from this drink helps your skin to glow and you can kiss goodbye to a puffy face and eyes as it flushes bloating salt). 🙂
It acts as an immune-booster to help strengthen your body to prepare it for any havoc it may go through.
We love lemons and limes and really spritz them over everything! They are a great flavor sub for salt too. Pssst…careful when you open Lyssie’s fridge–a lime from the packed cold-zone may drop out on your toe!
• The ideal flushing food–packed with potassium and water to restore normal fluid balance and flush out any bloating salt that may be causing you to store water and puffiness.
• Great source of vitamin C
By now you know, this is one of our faves, especially Lyssie, who tosses it in everything she eats, she must think it’s candy! (healthy candy, of course! 😉 ) Ginger soothes the stomach and intestinal tract, and has anti-inflammatory properties that protect cells from harmful free radicals. Ginger is ideal to help you to reset your body so you can arrive at the event with a calm, intestinal tract, free of tummy troubles and bloat.
We like to think of mint as a peace maker in the body 😉 It eases indigestion and calms the stomach, possibly by improving the flow of bile through the stomach, which helps to speed and ease digestion. Thanks in part to it’s anti-inflammatory antioxidant rosmarinic acid, it “calms your insides” to ease the havoc inside your body!
Research suggests they actually may assist in weight loss (yahoo!) because they contain the phytochemical C3G that may increase production of both adiponectin (which enhances fat metabolism) and leptin (which suppresses appetite). Plus, raspberries powerful, anti-aging and disease-fighting phytonutrients arm your body for any assault coming it’s way! Oh yeah!
Raspberry Ginger Lime Detox Drink
Remember– There is no right or wrong way to do this. Use as much or as little as you like for each ingredient. We also often use a water infuser bottle–we put all the ingredients in the center piece and then just keep the seltzer or water around and let the ingredients infuse into them.
3/4 cup raspberries
2 sliced limes
2 teaspoons chopped or pureed ginger
10 fresh mint leaves
3 quarts water (12 cups)
Add limes, mint leaves, raspberries, and ginger to three quarts of water. Allow the mixture sit in a covered pitcher for at least 2 hours–or overnight and feel free to muddle the fruits with a wooden spoon. Then serve it hot or chilled (over ice). Feel free to strain after sitting over night and simply reserving the liquid. We actually often place our ingredients in a cartridge made for water infusion bottles and then take that out and just drink the water that’s left. And remember– There is no right or wrong way to do this. Use as much or as little as you like for each ingredient–and you can even use seltzer instead of water if you and your body like the bubbles!
- ¾ cup raspberries
- 2 sliced limes
- 2 teaspoons chopped or pureed ginger
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 3 quarts water (12 cups)
- Add limes, mint leaves, raspberries, and ginger to three quarts of water. Allow the mixture sit in a covered pitcher for at least 2 hours--or overnight and feel free to muddle the fruits with a wooden spoon. Then serve it hot or chilled (over ice). Feel free to strain after sitting over night and simply reserving the liquid. We actually often place our ingredients in a cartridge made for water infusion bottles and then take that out and just drink the water that's left. And remember-- There is no right or wrong way to do this. Use as much or as little as you like for each ingredient--and you can even use seltzer instead of water if you and your body like the bubbles!