After over ten years as registered dietitians, there’s one thing that’s clear about breakfast—we’ve witnessed what the science proves…when our clients choose the best breakfasts (fiber and protein-packed ones), the breakfast prevents hunger for hours, boosts energy and sets the tone for the rest of the day—keeping our clients on the healthy track. Remember these great numbers The Most Satisfying Weight Loss Breakfast, 2-Minute Cherry Muesli, and these Mini Frittata Muffins. However, the opposite is true when our clients make a breakfast misstep—and if the breakfast skimps on either protein or fiber–they either end up hungry, or get too many calories, feel weighed down and heavy—and that spells trouble and sets the tone for the whole day. But don’t worry, we won’t that happen to you!
If you’re craving a little comfort and satisfaction all while trying to stay on the healthy track, we’ve created this little number just for you! Say hello to your new, light but hearty breakfast! With this recipe, you can get the classic comfort of familiarity with a spin-off of the popular dish of eggs benedict, all the while still maintaining the clean, light and healthy feel of a well-nourishing meal.
Please say hello to Skinny Eggs Benedict, aka…Veggie Bellabenedict!
This hearty yet healthy dish is the perfect start to any morning.We recommend making this yumster on a weekend morning when you have slightly more time. And for those who are slightly more pressed for time or who aren’t comfortable with the sometimes-tricky concept of a poached egg can pan-fry their eggs on a pan with a small amount of olive oil, leaving the yolk runny for a nice, saucy touch! This healthy twist on a modern classic is a family favorite, and those who don’t particularly care for mushrooms can substitute the Portobello for half of a whole wheat English muffin.! That’s just one reason this breakfast is so fabulous– because of its versatile nature—add and stack any wholesome vegetable or ingredient to incorporate your own personal favorites! Pair it with a side of fresh fruit for the perfect fresh start to any day.
Skinny Eggs Benedict (aka…Veggie Bellabenedict)
- Two large Portobello mushrooms
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup sliced red, green, yellow, or orange bell pepper
- 2 eggs (we use Egglands Best because they have 25% less saturated fat than other eggs)
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 cup raw spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- tin foil
- 1 egg yolk (we use Eggland’s Best because they have 25% less saturated fat than other eggs)
- 1/8 lemon, juiced
- 3/8 cup melted butter or margarine
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Set oven to 125°F
- Heat 1 tsp. of the olive oil over medium heat in a small pan
- Chop off bottom stems of Portobello mushrooms and place stem-end down in the previously heated pan, flipping after 2-3 minutes to evenly sauté both sides of the mushroom top.
- When the Portobello has become slightly more supple and juicy, it has finished, so remove from the pan, wrap in tin foil, and place in the preheated oven to keep warm.
- Add 1 tsp. olive oil to the previously used pan.
- Once heated, sauté peppers and onions in the pan with salt and pepper, to taste.
- As peppers and onions are sautéing, fill a medium pot 2/3 full with water and place over medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into separate small, shallow dishes or cups.
- As the water in the pot begins to simmer, add 1 tbsp. vinegar and swirl with a wooden spoon to form a whirlpool.
- Once the whirlpool is formed, carefully drop in eggs. Simmer for three minutes until cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- In a small saucepan add the two egg yolks, lemon juice, and cayenne, slowly whisking over low heat.
- Slowly add the melted butter/margarine until the hollandaise starts to simmer.
- Remove portobellos from the oven and place stem-side up on two plates. Add ½ cup fresh spinach to each, followed by the sautéed peppers and onions. Top each with a poached egg.
- Pour 2 tbsp. hollandaise over each benedict.
- Serve with a side of fresh fruit and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving (without fruit/turkey bacon)
Sodium: 241 mg
The Nutrition Twins are spokespeople for Eggland’s Best to help people get more nutrients from their food.