When trying to beat the heat, it can be tough to keep up healthy food habits in the summer. Backyard BBQs and picking up something ready-made so that you don’t have to turn on the stove in the heat can lead to overeating foods that don’t have the best nutritional value.
Luckily summer salads are a great option: we can keep up the good healthy work without slaving over a hot stove in the dead of the summer.
Here are two great salads that’ll tickle your taste buds and pump you with great nutrients, no sweat at all.
Summer Caprese Salad
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound low-fat mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
On a large platter, alternate and overlap the tomato slices, mozzarella cheese slices, and basil leaves. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with pepper
Berry Delicious Summer Salad
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped and toasted walnuts or pecans
- Bottled vinaigrette (limit to 2 teaspoons if you are watching your weight).
Toss together first 4 ingredients; drizzle with desired amount of vinaigrette, tossing gently to coat.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Newman’s Own Light Raspberry & Walnut vinaigrette.