Ever heard of “Meatless Mondays?” The phrase has gone mainstream. You can find it in the newspapers and splashed on twitter; there’s even a Facebook page. So what exactly is this new saying?
Meatless Mondays means going meat-free one day a week. Not only is it good for you, it’s good for the environment! Eating meat free one day a week reduces your carbon footprint.
We have been members of the Meatless Monday crew for years—although many times, for us, it happens on other days of the week as well. But no matter what, we make sure it happens!
Here is a quick, and easy recipe to help you and your family, go meatless on Mondays.
Spinach, Goat Cheese and Mushroom Quesadillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 9 ounces baby spinach
- 4, 8-inch whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 4 ounces semisoft low-fat goat cheese (if you don’t have goat cheese, use what you have!)
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat
- Add the mushroom; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms start to sweat – then remove from pan
- Add the spinach and 1 tablespoon of water to the skillet; cook 2 minutes, or until spinach is just wilted – then remove from skillet and turn off heat.
- Spread a quarter of the goat cheese on each tortilla and top with spinach, tomato and mushroom; fold closed and press lightly
- Re-heat the skillet and place two of the four folded quesadillas in it; cook two minutes per side, or until golden brown and lightly crisp
Nutrition Per Serving: (Makes 4 servings)
Total Fat: 15g (Sat. Fat: 6g)
Protein: 13 g
For more information about the Meatless Monday movement go to: http://www.meatlessmonday.com/