Winter is setting in here in New York and the weather is only getting colder. If you’re an avid outdoors exerciser, remember to hydrate, even in the winter. Although you don’t feel as thirsty as you do on those sweltering hot summer days, you’re still sweating and need to replenish your fluids. Cold air also has a drying effect, increasing your risk of dehydration. Make sure to drink before, during, and after exercise. Here’s a recipe for a winter exercise drink which is great for an outdoor run or bike ride in the winter. It’s one of our client’s favorites before an intense winter training session! If you’re like us, or most of our clients, you’ll find that you’ll actually drink more fluid when it’s warm while training in the cold air.
- ½ cup apple cider
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp ground cinammon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- A pinch ground nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into wedges
- Using a coffee machine, place spices and orange wedges in a filter in the coffee basket. Pour apple cider and water where the water usually goes. Brew and let cool slightly (you don’t want the drink to be too hot to drink while you’re exercising!). Transfer to an insulated exercise water bottle and head outside!
- This drink will keep you hydrated as well as replenish electrolytes while you exercise outdoors. An added bonus? Since the drink is heated, it helps our bodies warm up faster so we don’t feel cold for too long!
- This recipe is also great with double the cider and no water when you’re lounging around the house on a cold winter day or for serving as a beverage at your holiday party!
- How do you stay hydrated when exercising outside in the winter? Have you every tried drinking a hot beverage.
*Even if you’re not exercising, it’s always important to stay hydrated, and staying hydrated during the winter can help combat colds. Human cells require water to function, so make sure you are drinking enough.