Today’s the NFL championship! Here’s a great party platter snack that doesn’t require playing your own championship to burn it all off!
Southwestern Bean Dip
12 servings, about 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1, 16-ounce can nonfat refried beans, preferably “spicy”
- 1, 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup jalapeño slices, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack, or Cheddar cheese
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup canned sliced black olives, (optional)
- Combine refried beans, black beans, scallions, salsa, cumin, chili powder and jalapeños in a medium bowl. Transfer to a shallow 2-quart microwave-safe dish; sprinkle with cheese.
- Microwave on High until the cheese is melted and the beans are hot, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Scatter the tomato and avocado and olives (if using) over the hot bean mixture.
TIPS & NOTES:
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. To serve, continue with Steps 2 & 3.
If you want to cut calories and fat even more, use a low-fat cheese.
Per serving: 136 calories; 6.5 g fat ( 3 g sat , 3 g mono ); 12 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 278 mg sodium; 164 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (20% daily value), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).