We like spending Valentine’s Day at home relaxing with the person (or, when Tammy doesn’t get a babysitter and the kids are around, the people) we love. If you’re like us and you’re planning on staying in this Valentine’s Day, check out our healthy, romantic, and delicious menu—it will energize you so you won’t fall asleep before you get to spend quality time together! Don’t worry, they’re also easy – we know it’s more important to spend time with your loved ones and not in the kitchen!
Dinner: Garlic-Rosemary Shrimp and Artichoke Heart Skewers
- 1 pound of shrimp (about 10 jumbo shrimp)
- 1 can of artichoke hearts, drained but save 1 tbsp of the liquid
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- ¼ cup finely chopped garlic
- 1.5 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 skewers
- lemon accompaniment (optional)
- Combine the salt, garlic, rosemary, olive oil and the liquid from the canned artichoke hearts in a bowl. Add shrimp, making sure to coat them in the marinade, and let sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours (we do this in the morning before work so that the shrimp is well marinated and ready to cook when we get home!)
- Preheat the grill. If you don’t have a grill (or if it’s too cold outside to use it), you can cook the shrimp on a stove in a pan.
- Remove shrimp from marinade and place 5 on each skewer, alternating between shrimp and artichoke hearts. Brush the shrimp and artichoke hearts with extra marinade.
- Cook each skewer for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until done.
Side: Fresh Orange Rice
- 2 cups of brown rice (you can also use a rice medley, jasmine rice, or basmati rice if you prefer)
- 1 cup orange juice (we like the recipe best when we juice our own oranges and use fresh juice!)
- 1-2 tbsp orange zest
- 3 cups water
- ¼ tsp salt
- Put rice, water, orange juice and salt into a pot. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and let cook for about 25 minutes, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Pour into a serving bowl. Pour in zest and stir.
Dessert: Dark Chocolate Fondue with Fruit
- 3 oz dark chocolate (We like at least 70% – the darker, the better!)
- 2 tbsp low-fat or fat free milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Slices and chunks of your favorite fruits – we love to dip bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mango and pineapple!
- If you have a double boiler, melt chocolate in double boiler. If not, put chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and melt in the microwave. If using a microwave, make sure to keep an eye on the chocolate, stopping the microwave to stir occasionally, so as not to burn the chocolate.
- Once melted use a whisk to stir in the milk and vanilla. Don’t over-stir – the oils in the chocolate can start to separate out.
- Pour into a serving bowl with your choice of fruit. Dip and enjoy!