Tomorrow is another meatless Monday, and it’s also a holiday, which means it’s a great time to make sure your kids are going meatless too! We have a few recipes we love to make for ourselves and Tammy’s kids. Give them a try—it always feels good to make small healthy changes whether it’s to benefit you or your family. And these meals are light so they’ll fuel and energize you but won’t weigh you down!!
Lunch is a great time to get your protein from non-animal sources! Hummus is a favorite addition to sandwiches, and here is one sandwich that we just cannot resist.
Grilled Vegetable and Hummus Sandwich
- ¼ red bell pepper
- ¼ zucchini
- ¼ yellow squash
- 1 slice of white onion
- Olive oil
- 2 pieces of whole grain bread
- 2 Tbsp hummus
- Slice red pepper, zucchini, onion and yellow squash into long, thin strips.
- Lightly mist vegetables with olive oil and season with a dash of salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Grill vegetables about 2 minutes on each side.
- Toast 2 pieces of bread. When desired darkness has been reached, remove from toaster
- Spread hummus on toast.
- Arrange grilled vegetables on top of the bread to assemble sandwich.
- Top with the other piece of toast, slice and enjoy!
This next recipe for Tofu Teriyaki is from wholefoods.com. It’s delicious AND healthy!!
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry, cut crosswise into 8 slices
- In a wide, shallow dish, whisk together tamari, sesame oil, honey, rice vinegar, ginger and garlic.
- Add tofu, turn to coat all over, cover and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Pat tofu dry, then oil lightly with cooking spray.
- Grill over medium-high heat or broil on a foil-lined baking sheet until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
Nutrition (Recipe Serves 4)
Fat: 3.5g total, 0g saturated fat