We are constantly inspired to make our own versions of healthy dishes we see and love at restaurants. After a recent trip to a Spanish tapa’s restaurant, we decided we had to make our own healthy version of Berenjena En Salmorejo (Fried Eggplant With Salmorejo Sauce). Check out our recipe for Baked Eggplant with Salmorejo Sauce. It won’t weigh you down so you’ll stay energized all day long!
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into strips
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 4 cups fresh low-sodium whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh low-sodium whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 3 cups water
- Canned tomatoes (15 oz)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prepare a baking sheet sprinkled with the olive oil
- Start by sweating the eggplant. Sprinkle the eggplant with salt and let sit in a coriander until softened, about 30 minutes. Pat eggplant dry.
- Mix flour and pepper. Roll eggplant in the flour to coat lightly.
- Roll eggplant in the beaten eggs.
- Roll the eggplant in the breadcrumbs, coating completely
- Place on the baking sheet without overlapping.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until browned. Flip and brown the other side to finish cooking.
- Soak breadcrumbs in water for 10 minutes. Squeeze dry
- Place breadcrumbs, canned tomatoes (including the juice), garlic, salt, and vinegar in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Once smooth, slowly pour oil in while the food processor is on.
Pour sauce over the eggplant sticks or keep on the side for dipping. Enjoy as an appetizer or a main course!
Servings per recipe: 10; Serving Size: 120g; Calories: 270; Total Fat: 7 g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 116mg; Total Carbohydrates: 43g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Protein: 9g
Servings per recipe: 10, Serving Size: 65g; Calories: 140; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 116mg; Total Carbohydrates: 17g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Protein: 3g