Get your energy on with this Mediterranean Quinoa Salad! The quinoa is a great source of energy revving, high fiber carbs and it also is a great source of lean protein- a unique combination! The chicken breasts are an additional source of lean protein that will help to extend the energy boost from the quinoa and will help to keep you satisfied. The veggies are packed with nutrients that will help to turn your food into usable energy.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cubes low-sodium chicken bouillon
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 large cooked chicken breasts – cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Bring the water, bouillon cubes, and garlic to a boil in a saucepan.
- Stir in the quinoa, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Discard the garlic clove and scrape the quinoa into a large bowl.
- Gently stir the chicken, onion, bell pepper, olives, feta cheese, parsley, chives, and salt into the quinoa. Drizzle with the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Stir until evenly mixed. Serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold.
Servings per recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving- Calories: 212, Total Fat: 8, Cholesterol: 32mg, Carbohydrates: 20.1g, Protein: 16.4g
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
Have you tried quinoa? How was it prepared?