Here are our favorite tricks that we ALWAYS use before heading to a BBQ, a pool, the beach, or an event where we need to wear a LBD (i.e. the “Lil’ Black Dress”). Of course, as registered dietitians and personal trainers, these are based on science, but keep in mind that these are the tricks that don’t just look good on paper– they really work! So we just have to share them! You’re welcome! 😉
1. Wake up and immediately drink 16 ounces (or more!) of water
- This will wake up your digestive tract—and get things movin’on out 😉 Buh, bye leftovers from last night that that are lingering in the colon. (This works like magic for us 😉)
- It will help to flush bloating salt and water along with it.
- It will prevent dehydration and give your body what it needs for its’ chemical reactions to make energy to start your day.
2. Get your sweat on! Do some form of cardio for at least 15 minutes.
- This really gets your intestinal tract going to get things moving out of your colon. Ah-hem, yes, we mean, you’re preventing constipation and the gut bulges that come with it! (If you run, like we often do, you probably know how well this works!)
- You’ll get rid of the little layer of “puff” right beneath your skin as you sweat out a little salt.
- You’ll activate your muscles so they look toned and tight at the event.
3. Watch this move below. It’s the hook, line and sinker for your bloat-free belly. Your stomach will look so much tighter! It’s crazy cool! 🙂
Tammy learned this move after she first gave birth to her twins. This activates your stomach muscles and it trains them to stay right and tight—rather than just hanging out like most of us (yep, us too– so this is a good reminder for us!) let our stomachs do when we are just standing around.
What to do:
Step 1. Activate the muscles in your stomach by simply standing with your back against the wall and placing your hand on your stomach. Squeeze your abs, pulling your belly button back to your spine. Breathe out as you do it. Think of your stomach muscles acting as a zipper and zipping the stomach in nice and tight from the bottom up. Your hand should feel your abs move back towards your spine.
Step 2. Remember, as you squeeze your abs towards your spine breathe out. Hold your abs tight for several counts and then release. Do this at least 15-20 times. You may feel this in your back too, that’s OK, and it’s part of the strengthening and toning process and actually is a sign you’re doing it correctly.
Step 3. Now that you’ve activated the muscles, do this on your way to the event—and even at the event! What we love is that no one will even see what you’re doing, but they will see tight abs and a flat stomach, oh yeah! 🙂
4. Eat a breakfast that is high in fiber and protein. The fiber will help you to feel satisfied by filling up your stomach and assisting your digestive tract in making sure everything keeps moving along to prevent constipation and bloat while the protein will keep you satiated. Stay away from super heavy breakfasts that will weigh you down and make you feel heavy.
And consider drinking this Cucumber Blueberry Water Flush (or something similar) during the day and at the event!
We’re dying to hear how our favorite bloat-free tricks worked for you! Please leave a comment below and let us know! Also, for bonus tips to stay bloat free at the event, check out these!