Somehow, the words healthy and cake don’t seem to belong together. But this cake is is one that won’t slow you down.
Unlike most holiday treats that are heavy and fatty and make us feel sluggish and on the verge of popping off pant buttons, this one will keep that button closed and those pants feeling comfortable.
This carrot cake will feel like a real splurge, but unlike other cakes that are pure fat and sugar and cause a sugar spike and energy crash, this cake contains 3 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein per slice, so it will keep energy levels stable. It won’tweigh you down or stop you from enjoying the celebrations all day and night!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 10 people
Nutrition Facts for 1 serving (81 g): Calories – 221, Fat – 15g, Carbohydrate – 17g, Fiber – 3g, Sugar – 10g, Protein – 5g
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 tsp celtic sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 3 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, agave and oil.
- Stir carrots, raisins and walnuts into wet ingredients.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry.
- Place batter into 2 well greased, round 9 Inch cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and spread with coconut frosting.
- Serve and enjoy!
What’s your favorite healthy Memorial Day recipe? Have you ever made carrot cake?