Happy Sunday and start of July! Sunday’s our favorite day to sleep in and have a nice sit down breakfast with our family—it’s the best way to feel revived and boost your energy so you can start the week feeling refreshed. Whether you’re having a nice sit down breakfast with your friends or family or need a quick on-the-go breakfast to keep you energized throughout the day these quinoa breakfast bars are perfect! Quinoa has a low glycemic index and high complex carb content so it fuels and stabilizes blood sugar levels so you don’t crash. It also contains magnesium and a slew of B vitamins! That’s right, quinoa is great for you, and we are huge fans!
Did we mention these bars are delicious AND vegan?! Children love them! Similar bars can be purchased pre-made at Whole Foods or here’s the recipe for them:
Recipe (makes 12 bars, adapted from Whole Foods recipe )
- 1 ½ cup quinoa
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 TB flax seeds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (or could use cranberries or dried apples)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ cup agave nectar
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 ½ TB Ener-G egg replaced whisked with 6 TB water
- Put quinoa in a saucepan, add water and cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Combine coconut milk, egg replacer, and flax seeds in a bowl and stir.
- Preheat oven to 325F and place a piece of parchment paper in a 9 by 13 pan.
- Combine the quinoa and coconut milk mixture until fully mixed. Add all remaining ingredients
- Put the mixture into the pan, press firmly. Put the pan back in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Allow the bars to cool for 20 minutes in the pan and then another 40 minutes out of the pan. Then cut to make the bars into 12 pieces.
Nutrition Facts: 193 calories, 6g fat, 4g protein, 30g carbohydrates
What are your favorite Sunday morning breakfasts? Omelets? Toast? Pancakes? Do you have any energy twists you put on your breakfast?