Looking for a savory hump day lunch idea that will give you a boost so you can power through your week? These spinach hummus pitas might be exactly what you’re looking for. The combination of energy-revving, fiber-filled whole wheat pitas combined with the avocado (the healthy fat in the avocado extends the energy boost from the pita and)makes this lunch not only creamy and delicious, but very healthy! Adding raw onions or chilled sauerkraut on top will give this meal the perfect crunch.
Super Spinach Chunky Avocado Hummus
The hummus combined with the creamy chunks of avocado makes a wonderful texture and tastes perfectly lemon-y inside the toasted pitas. This spinach hummus is a bit on the thin side which works perfectly since you will then fold the creamy chunks of avocado into the mixture.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-4 cloves garlic – EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) roasted in oven
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 handfuls baby spinach
- 2-5 Tbsp water1/2 avocado, chopped into large cubes
- 3 pitas, sliced in half and toasted
- Process all ingredients except avocado and pitas in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Pour hummus from the food processor into a bowl. Fold in the avocado chunks.
- Toast pitas. Add hummus to inside of pitas
- Add a few pinches chopped spinach and chilled sauerkraut and/or raw onions.
What do you mix in your hummus? Do you eat it in a sandwich? Dip veggies in it?