Our clients always ask us what they can eat before and after exercise that will give them a boost. We always have a number of suggestions and we’re happy to have found this recipe below to add to the list.
Spice up your pre / post workout with a homemade n energy-boosting homemade energy bar filled with nuts, oats, and blueberries. Finished with a hint of mini-chocolate chips is perfect for the chocolate-lovers. The oats and blueberries provide your body with fuel and the nuts will extend that energy boost so you can power through your day.
- 1 cup lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup crispy brown rice cereal
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 6 dried apricots, diced
- 3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 5 tablespoons brown rice syrup or light corn syrup
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch-square baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Mixed together peanuts, rice cereal, oats, and pumpkin or sunflower seeds, blueberries, apricots, and chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- Slowly stir in the syrup and spread the mix in the baking pan. Coat another piece of foil with cooking spray and place another pan on the top to firmly compress the mixture. Remove the top pan and foil.
- Bake until the edges are turned golden brown, usually around 20-24 minutes. Cool pan inside the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Carefully lift the baked square out of the pan by holding the edges of the foil and place on a cutting board, leaving the foil underneath. Cut into 6 bars. Allow the bars to cool completely before lifting them off the foil.
Per bar: 167 calories; 9 g fat ( 2 g sat , 4 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 28 mg sodium; 175 mg potassium.