Need an energy packed dish for dinner or for the holidays? Lemony Yellow Split Peas will be a hit for everyone with vitamin-rich carbohydrates for an energy boost and protein and fiber to make the boost last longer. You’ll get the energy you need for cold weather and this busy time of year!
This is a yummy and perfect way for vegetarian holiday diners to get protein to boot!
Lemony Yellow Split Peas
- 2 t extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups yellow split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 T minced fresh ginger root
- zest and juice of two lemons
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Put yellow split peas in a bowl and pick over (if necessary) and rinse with cold water and drain.
- Finely mince 3-4 garlic cloves.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or heavy pot, add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add yellow split peas and stir several times to coat split peas with oil.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a low simmer. Cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until split peas are soft but not mushy and liquid is mostly absorbed.
- While split peas are cooking, zest the lemons, then squeeze the juice. Finely mince fresh ginger root.
- When split peas are ready, stir in ginger, lemon zest and juice and season with salt and pepper. Cover pot again and let the split peas rest 10-15 minutes to develop flavors, excess liquid will absorb during this time.
- Serve warm.
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition Facts per serving: Calories 267 Total Fat 2g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 59mg Total Carbohydrate 47g Dietary Fiber 18g Sugars 8g Protein 17g Vitamin A 71% Vitamin C 25% Calcium 7% Iron 18%
Adapted from: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/