This salad has the perfect combination of crunch from the almonds and kale, sweetness from the blueberries, and nutty flavor from the fiber-filled quinoa. Plus, it’s a fabulous way to rev your energy with the nutrient-rich carbohydrates from the quinoa and berries. The protein from the quinoa, feta and almonds are ideal for staying power and to help keep that energy boost lasting longer.
(Serves 4 -6, as a side)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled (prepared according to package directions)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 cup shredded kale
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta*
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper
* FYI–Although the original recipe calls for regular feta, we use a fat free one and don’t notice the difference—this still tastes divine, but in doing so we save a lot of calories! So if you go for the fat free feta, keep in mind that the calories and fat will be a good deal lower than listed in the stats below. Woohoo!
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, blueberries, kale, feta, and almonds. Mix until well combined.
- Add olive oil and lemon juice and toss to fully coat.
- Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste, and enjoy!
Calories: 340; Fat:15g; Carbohydrates: 40g; Sugar:3.2g; Fiber: 5.6g; Protein: 11g