If you’re like us, you love everything chocolate, including hot chocolate! It’s so soothing and it’s perfect for warming us up on a cold winter’s day. This recipe will quench your chocolate craving with some added bonuses!
First, you’ve probably heard about the health benefits of chocolate—especially dark chocolate. It’s rich in antioxidants and can help fight the body against free radicals that can cause cell damage. The darker the chocolate and the higher the cocoa content, the higher the antioxidants, which means the healthier it is!
This recipe is a unique twist on the traditional hot chocolate since the egg boosts protein content in addition to the skim milk so it can make for a satisfying snack. Cinnamon, which is packed with antioxidants, may help to fight diabetes while adding a delish flavor. And it uses semi-sweet chocolate which is dark chocolate!
(And if you’re inside with snow outside, you may want to whip up these easy, healthier, fun treats too–nspired by some of our other popular dessert balls like our Chocolate Drizzled Granola Balls, our White Chocolate Drizzled Wild Blueberry Granola Balls and Chocolate Coconut Chia Balls!)
A fabulous winter-time dessert! Sip up!
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 3 cups non-fat milk
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate, grated (Semi-sweet chocolate is dark chocolate! Woohoo!)
- 1 tbsp. white sugar or sugar substitute of choice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (or 1/2 tsp ground cayenne if you prefer more of a kick!)
- 1 egg or equivalent egg substitute
- 3 teaspoon fat free whip cream (optional)
- Pour milk in microwave-safe container.
- Place in the microwave and cook on high in microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add chocolate, sugar and cinnamon and mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg. Once smooth, add chocolate mixture and stir well.
- Place mixture back in microwave.
- Cook on high for approximately 3 minutes. Remove when foamy, being very careful that the mixture is not too hot.
- Whisk well until smooth.
- Divide into 3 mugs and add cinnamon and a teaspoon of whip cream to each mug if desired.
Each serving of this scrumptious winter-wonderland dessert contains: 172 calories, 5.5 grams fat, 12 grams protein, 19 grams of carbohydrate, 2 grams of fiber and 40% DV for calcium
For a 10-day Weight Loss Jumpstart and Detox Plan and more delicious healthy recipes like this, please check out The Nutrition Twins’ Veggie Cure!
If you love this recipe, you may also enjoy these fabulous recipes:
Banana Kiwi Weight Loss Smoothie