Woohoo! If you didn’t know already, we are huge pistachio fans—for so many reasons. Not only do they taste simply divine, but from a nutrition standpoint they provide a great source of protein and fiber (one of the most of all nuts), as well as having heart healthy benefits! If pistachios aren’t already in your nut repertoire, they should be!
We like to call pistachios the “Skinny Nut” since you can get 30 pistachios for just 100 calories! Most other nuts you can only get half this many nuts for the same calories. Pistachios also provide about 3 g of fiber per serving, more than in walnuts—plus they are an excellent source of copper and manganese and a good way to get vitamins B6 as well as many other vitamins.
Don’t be afraid to pair pistachios with your favorite fruits to receive an even bigger nutritional boost midday. They make a great duo with apples, apricots or even strawberries!
We wanted to help you celebrate National Pistachio Day and included a pistachio crusted chicken recipe for you to share with your friends or with your family tonight!
Pistachio Crusted Chicken
- 1 cup finely chopped pistachios
- ½ cup corn flakes cereal
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1-3/4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Cut the chicken breast halves in 1-inch cubes.
- Mix pistachios and corn flakes in a small bowl, set aside. In another bowl, mix together Dijon mustard, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper until it mixture is smooth. Dip the chicken cubes into the mustard mixture to coat evenly, then coat with the pistachio mixture. Place them onto the baking sheet.
- Place into the 500 degree oven and turn the oven down to 375 degrees. Bake for about 20 minutes or until pistachio coating is golden brown and bon appétit!
NOTE: Make sure chicken is no longer pink and the internal temperature should be 165 degrees.
What other foods have you enjoyed with pistachios?