Sunday Brunch is one of our favorite meals. However, if you eat brunch at your favorite restaurant, it will likely be full of unhealthy, energy-draining ingredients. So, instead of heading out on Sunday to grab brunch with friends, we like to cook our own. Eggs Benedict is one of our favorites, and here’s a great, healthy recipe we love!
- 1/2 whole wheat mini bagel
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 slice lean ham
- 3 teaspoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijonnaise
- 1 teaspoon reduced calorie buttery spread; softened
- 2 teaspoon light whipped cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix buttery spread, mayo, cottage cheese, lemon juice and Dijonnaise in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Crack egg into a small bowl. Pour vinegar on top – this helps the egg white coagulate when it is poached.
- Fill a medium-sized pot with 2 inches of water, and bring water to a boil. Once boiling, lower temperature so the water is at a light boil.
- With a spoon, stir water until you create a gentle whirlpool.
- Gently pour the egg in the boiling water. It should be spinning around the “whirlpool”. If the water stops spinning, use your spoon to gently recreate the whirlpool. Allow the egg to cook for 3 to 5 minutes (3 for a runnier egg, 5 for very firm), or until egg white is mostly opaque. Carefully remove egg with a spatula and place it on a plate. Use a paper towel to soak up any excess water.
- Toast bagel half and heat ham if desired.
- Heat sauce in the microwave for approximately 20 seconds and stir (add a little water if you prefer a thinner sauce).
- Top bagel with ham and egg. Pour the sauce over the top. Enjoy!
For more recipes like this, Check out our new book! The Nutrition Twins’ Veggie Cure
You may also like our:
Chicken Fried Rice Done Healthy
Homemade Pancakes only 56 Calories each
Skinny, Speedy Walnut Oatmeal Cookies, only 3 ingredients!