Are you tired of the same lean protein option with dinner almost each and every night? Well mix it up with some of these leaner choices! Here’s the skinny on some of our favorite lean protein options (Be aware: even with these options make sure to cut off excess fat to get an even leaner meat.
Chicken is low in calories and fat which is great if you’re trying to slim down. It’s rich in protein and niacin, which helps to keep your skin, hair and eyes healthy. Chicken also contains B vitamins, which help to boost energy.. We love that!
Fish contains powerful omega-3 fatty acids. Omega 3’s have been shown to do everything from fighting arthritis and heart disease to elevating your mood! Some of the best fish choices are omega 3 fish are salmon, herring and sardines; plus, they are much lower in mercury than most other fish.
Turkey provides a protein punch with 32 grams in a 4 oz serving! It also contains the trace mineral selenium which is a potent antioxidant which may protect against cancer. Turkey is a great source of B vitamins just like chicken and has less saturated fat!
Bison may sound like something you would never want to eat, but it tastes delicious! It’s flavor is a little similar to beef but sweeter and richer. It’s low in fat and calories when compared to beef. Plus it is an excellent source of iron and provides 28 grams of protein in a 3.5 oz serving.
Beef can be a tricky choice, so choose carefully. Look for leaner cuts like the chuck and the round and this is one time you surely want to be certain to trim all visible fat.
Don’t be afraid to swap out your typical beef today! To get you started we wanted to share this delish Turkey Avocado Wrap!
Turkey Avocado Wrap
- Cooking spray or oil in a spray bottle
- 2-3 slices of fresh turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon chipotle salsa
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 small whole wheat tortillas or 1 medium whole wheat tortilla (totaling about 150 calories)
- 2 tablespoons avocado, mashed
- 1/2 cup mixed greens
- 2 slices tomato
- 1/2 cup bell pepper slices
- Lightly spray oil in a heavy skillet. Cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink and cooked thoroughly. Set aside and slice thinly when cool enough to handle.
- While turkey is cooking, stir together chipotle salsa and avocado; spread on tortillas.
- Add 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro to each; top with turkey, mixed greens, tomato and bell peppers.
- Roll up and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 small tortilla or 1/2 medium tortilla Calories 135, Total Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 0g, Sodium 530mg, Carbohydrates 21g, Fiber 4g, Sugar 3g, Protein 9g
What ways have you incorporated lean meats into your diet?