Looking for a new breakfast that’s super healthy, but it’s so delicious it feels like dessert? Then look no further!
Strawberry-Rhubarb Oatmeal Bake
- 2 cups uncooked oats
- 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rhubarb compote
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup*
- Cook oatmeal according to package directions.
- After oatmeal is done cooking, add the strawberries and vanilla extract. Continue to cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Watch it carefully and don’t leave it on too long – you want to dry out the oatmeal, not burn it!
- Pour into a bowl and add the rhubarb compote and maple syrup. This will moisten the oatmeal as well as cool it down.
- If you like it crispy on top like we do, put the oatmeal in the broiler for a minute or two, or until the edges start to brown.
Note: We suggest serving with an egg for additional protein. (We like Eggland’s Best eggs since they have 25% less saturated fat than ordinary eggs.)
Serves: 3; Serving Size: 1 cup; Calories Per Serving: 153; Total Fat: 1g; Protein: 4g; Fiber: 4g; Sugar:13g; Sodium: 7mg
*If you don’t like your oatmeal so sweet, you can omit the maple syrup, which will bring the total sugar down to 9g per serving.
For nutrition guidance, more than 100 recipes, and a “get healthy” plan, please check out the The Nutrition Twins Veggie Cure.
The Nutrition Twins work with Eggland’s Best.