We’re all about warm weather, so we have some tricks to make January feel a little less chilling–like by cozying up with a bowl of delicious hot soup. And it’s the perfect time since January is National Soup Month!
We’ve tried this new soup that is just to die for and a great way to use lentils which are packed with protein and fiber! It’s super-satisfying and almost like a stew. So scoop up a bite of this yummy goodness for lunch today!
This soup is great to make over the weekend—you can leave it on a low heat for hours while you do other things around the house. So easy—you come back to it and voila—you have a delish soup/ stew.
Chickpea Lentil Soup
- 3/4 cup dried chickpeas
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 pound bag of fresh spinach
- Soak chickpeas in enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches for 6 hours or overnight.
- Drain the chick peas and combine with carrots, onion, lentils, broth, tomato paste, ginger, cumin, salt, saffron and pepper in a slow cooker or large pot.
- Cover with lid and cook on low until the chickpeas are tender and the lentils have begun to break down. this should take about 5 to 6 1/2 hours.
- Just before serving, stir lime juice in the stew.
- Steam or microwave the spinach. Divide spinach amongst soup bowls and ladel stew over spinach.
- Stir in lime juice. Sprinkled peanuts and cilantro on top. Enjoy!!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 193 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 296 mg sodium, 30 g carbs, 11 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 12 g protein
For a 10-day Weight Loss Jumpstart and Detox Plan and more delicious healthy foods please check out The Nutrition Twins’ Veggie Cure!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also enjoy: