Aww, snap! Now THIS is a wrap! 🙂 This meal is one of our all time faves! This creation hit the pan after we had spent time visiting our besties in our hometown city in Maryland and then headed “downtown” to Washington DC, where we had one of the most delicious appetizers. EVER. Yup, an oh so delish Asian style chicken lettuce wrap app 😉 that couldn’t have been more crispy, crunchy, sweet and salty –(and juicy!) and downright delicious– inspired us to make this rendition of it. We knew it was so good that we had to make it into a full meal! After all, eating that appetizer portion simply left us wanting to order more and to make it our full main-meal! And thus, these wraps we’re reinvented and born in our kitchen!
And of course, as registered dietitian nutritionists, as we whipped these yumsters up, we had more than just flavor in mind–we had your (and our!) waistline and health. And we’re so excited to say we packed in major nutrients —antioxidants and fiber and just 280 calories per serving- with 23 grams of satisfying protein!
Psstt….if you’re looking for another kind of wrap, check out these healthy “wraps” -also waist-line friendly numbers “wrapped” in a taco!:
Gluten-Free Tilapia Tacos with Zucchini Tortillas
California Prunes are one of our favorite ingredients for healthy meals – they’re sweet, juicy, high in fiber, packed with antioxidants, and they make these lettuce wraps absolutely amazing!
We love the sweet-savory flavors found in lots of Asian dishes, but that often comes alongside lots of sugary ingredients. That’s where California Prunes come in – California Prunes are full of sweet flavor, but each naturally sweet serving has 3 grams of filling fiber and antioxidants called polyphenols, which help keep your heart, brain, and immune system healthy. They pack a powerful punch of flavor in the chicken mixture, which is so easy to whip up and stuff into lettuce leaves for a nutritious dinner!
We hope you love it like we do, admittedly, we’re OBSESSED with it! 🙂
- ½ inch fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 green onions
- 6 oz green beans
- ½ Persian cucumber
- 1 radish
- 3oz California prunes
- 2 cooked chicken breasts
- 1 lime
- 1½ tsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- ½ tsp tamari sauce
- 3 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1½ tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 head butter lettuce
- STEP ONE
- Peel and finely chop the ginger.
- Thinly slice the garlic cloves and green onions.
- Cut the ends off of the green beans and discard ends.
- Cut the radish and HALF the cucumber into thin matchsticks.
- Chop the prunes into 1⁄4-inch diced pieces, add to a medium bowl. Shred the chicken into 2-inch pieces and add to the bowl with the prunes.
- Cut the lime in half.
- In a small bowl, combine the rice wine vinegar, teriyaki sauce, tamari sauce, the juice from HALF of the lime, and 1½ tsp sesame seeds.
- STEP TWO
- Heat 1 teaspoon of sesame oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add HALF of the green onions and HALF of the ginger and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the diced prunes and chicken mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the teriyaki and tamari mixture, and sauté until liquid is evaporated.
- Remove the mixture from heat; set aside for plating.
- Carefully wipe the sauté pan clean and return to medium-high heat.
- STEP THREE
- Add remaining sesame oil and increase heat to high.
- When hot, add the green beans and a pinch of salt.
- Cook for 2 minutes, turning and moving beans so they cook quickly and evenly.
- Add remaining ginger, and 1 tablespoon of water and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute or until beans are crisp-tender. Stir in remaining sesame seeds.
- Keeping the leaves whole, separate the lettuce leaves.
- STEP FOUR
- Divide the lettuce leaves evenly between two plates.
- Fill each leaf with the chicken mixture and garnish with the cucumbers, radishes, and remaining green onions.
- Serve the lettuce wraps with the green beans.
We are honored to have partnered with Chef’d and California prunes to create these meals!