This morning I (Lyssie), like most mornings, found myself racing out the door to meet my friend, Sean, a personal trainer at my gym for a jog on the treadmill. As we jogged, I was telling him that my mornings always seem to be hectic and thank goodness for my energy-boosting, satisfying, quickie breakfast and if weren’t for it, I don’t know if I’d ever have time to eat. I told him that Tammy and I have two favorite breakfasts that work wonders for our clients because they’re quick, easy, satisfying, energy-boosting, delicious and make us and our clients feel our best until lunchtime. He perked up and said-“I want to know what they are!”
Then it dawned on me…while we always share tips on how to help you to look and feel your best, we may not have told you the most popular breakfasts when it comes to all of these things! So brace yourselves because we’re about to spill the breakfast beans—aka, the morning meals that our clients live for! 😉 Yep-it’s our Simple Eggs & Grains which seems to be one of the most satisfying weight loss breakfasts, our Mini Fritatta Muffins and our Veggie Frittata Bites!
But as much as a girl –or a guy—loves a food (or a few like the ones above!) that’s their go-to, they likely don’t want to have it every single morning for breakfast without adding something new to the mix. We get it! That’s why we’ve created this dreamsicle—another perfect go-to for those busy mornings (and afternoons)!
This too, is one our all-time faves and our clients tell us they love it too. So say hello to our Grab-and-Go Creamy Cherry Oats–and best of all, although it may be thought of for breakfast, healthy foods are good for you no matter what time of day you eat them. So go ahead and have it for a light, yet satisfying lunch or for a scrumptious snack. Or you can do what Lyssie does when she’s in a hurry; she serves her boyfriend this for breakfast, lunch or brinner).
Calling all chewy- texture loving breakfast eaters: The original muesli calls for just mixing the ingredients together and letting them sit in the fridge overnight—voila! You just grab and go in the morn! But, we have to tell you, we mix this right before we eat it, we use quick rolled oats and there is something about that creamy and chewy texture that is so satisfying, if you’re like us, you’ll go for making it this way, and never look back!
Aside from it feeling like a real treat, we love both of these On-the-Go Cherry Oats and this Orange and Banana Energy-Revving Quick Oat Muesli for their wholesome ingredients and how each contributes to your energy level (you can mix up the fruits,-and even add nuts, just know the calories will be higher– there are no rules!):
Whole oats: Oats are the whole grain so they’re packed with fiber and contain healthy, energy- boosting carbohydrates needed to fuel your brain and your muscles. Plus, oats are a great source of magnesium to help to turn your food into energy. Goodbye, energy slump!
Oikos non-fat Black Cherry Greek yogurt: Not only a great source of calcium and vitamin D, but packed with protein too, Oikos yogurt is rich and creamy and extends the energy boost of the oats, cherries and whatever healthy carbs you add, while also keeping you satisfied. This is such an easy way to get protein.
Cherries: Sweet cherries are packed with potassium, a natural blood-pressure reducer. Potassium helps to counteract sodium, helping to restore normal fluids balance—and flush any of the water retention and bloat from last night’s dinner. Potassium helps to offset the blood-pressure-raising effects of sodium. Quercetin, an antioxidant found in cherries may help keep blood vessels relaxed and supple. Plus, it seems anthocyanins cyaniding in cherries may help to prevent cancer!
- Almonds– These are optional in the recipe below, and if you add a teaspoon of slivered nuts, they go a lot further! A good-for-your-heart fat, almonds add delicious crunch and their fat and protein add satiety and make the energy boost last longer. Just remember that this will add calories to your meal.
- Cinnamon– A sweet and delicious antioxidant-rich spice which helps to fight damage in your body and keep you healthy so you can feel good and have energy to do the things you enjoy. Feel free to pile it on like we do—the more you use, the better, as cinnamon has been even shown to keep blood sugar levels in check when you use enough. One to one –and- a-half teaspoons daily seems to be helpful.
On-the-Go Cherry Oats Makes 1 serving
- 1/2 cup whole grain oats, raw (For a heartier meal, double the oats to 4 tablespoons, we use rolled oats for the version we make in minutes and eat on the spot)
• 1/2 cup cherries, sliced
• 6 ounces Oikos non-fat Black Cherry Greek yogurt
• Dash Cinnamon, ginger—or more if you like!
Mix all ingredients together and enjoy!
Nutrition per Serving: 315 Calories, 55 g Carbohydrate, 3g fat, 18 grams protein, 1g saturated fat, 6 g fiber
We’ve partnered with Dannon Oikos on this post to share this healthy breakfast that can double as a snack. We’re being compensated and given free products, but all opinions are our own.
- ½ cup whole grain oats, raw (For a heartier meal, double the oats to 4 tablespoons, we use rolled oats for the version we make in minutes and eat on the spot)
- • ½ cup cherries, sliced
- • 6 ounces Oikos non-fat Black Cherry Greek yogurt
- • Dash Cinnamon, ginger—or more if you like!
- Mix all ingredients together and enjoy!