As registered dietitians and personal trainers, our clients frequently tell us that before they came to see us, they were afraid we’d make them cut out all of the foods they love, like ice cream, to help them to lose weight. No way Jose! We don’t believe in deprivation, and in fact, it often backfires and leads to binges and falling off a healthy eating plan. Some of our clients like to indulge in a small portion of the real deal. Others prefer a lightened up version of the real deal, like our Easy, Low Calorie Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwich– which only has 115 calories a serving!
Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwich
- 4 squares Cinnamon graham crackers
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup Chocolate, Vanilla or strawberry low-fat or fat free ice cream, softened slightly, not rock solid
- Spread the peanut butter on one side of two of the four graham cracker squares.
- Layer the ice cream on the peanut butter.
- Put the sandwich together by placing the remaining graham cracker squares on each sandwich.
- Carefully place sandwiches in a Ziploc bag or clear square container.
- Place in freezer for one hour. Enjoy!
Make two sandwiches
Nutrition Facts: 115 calories, 3 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 12 mg sodium, 2 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 3 g protein
Note: The photo you see above reflects the first way that we tried this recipe. But we wanted to cut the calories a lot more and make it just as delicious, which we did with the recipe above! It actually looks fairly similar except it’s on graham crackers and it’s got a tad less ice cream!
What’s your favorite combination for an ice cream sandwich?