Hello Skinny Cucumber Sammies! We mean, really, what’s better than a crunchy adorable sandwich for 50 calories –and that packs more protein than most yogurt? Um, not much! Our clients always ask us what to serve for guests or for ideas to eat for an easy snack (Blueberry Crunch High Protein Snack, The Best Weight Loss Snacks anyone?) that’s not their everyday humdrum one! So say hello to this super satisfying snack, lunch, appetizer, you name it! And you can make these pups in minutes! These really are so ideal that even bread lovers will say, who needs bread anyway? Well, at least not on this waistline friendly sandwich! Enjoy!
Btw, as you likely know, we’re constantly trying to find easy ways to make getting delicious veggies easier. That’s one of the main reasons we wrote our latest book The Nutrition Twins’ Veggie Cure and created recipes like our Kale Recharge Smoothie, our Smoked Paprika Zucchini Chips, and our Zucchini Parmesan Rounds. And now these! We can’t wait to hear what ya think!
Skinny Cucumber Sandwiches
Aka, your new bestie 😉 We love that you can pack these babes up and not worry about stale, soggy bread!
1 large cucumber (the wider, the better)
1 large ripe on the vine tomato
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 ounce low-fat cheese, sliced into two thick slices
fresh or dried basil, optional
1. Slice the cucumber horizontally so that you make large round coins about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
2. Place four cucumber “coins” on a plate. Top 2 of them with 1/4 cup cottage cheese and top two of them with 1/2 ounce cheese. Top with a tomato and a sprinkle of basil and cover with a cucumber coin.
3. Enjoy your cucumber sandwich!
Nutrition information per serving (using 1% cottage cheese): 50 Calories, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fat, 9 g protein, 1 g fiber, 177 mg sodium
- 1 large cucumber (the wider, the better)
- 1 large ripe on the vine tomato
- ½ cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 ounce low-fat cheese, sliced into two thick slices
- fresh or dried basil, optional
- Slice the cucumber horizontally so that you make large round coins about ¼-1/2 inch thick.
- Place four cucumber "coins" on a plate. Top 2 of them with ¼ cup cottage cheese and top two of them with ½ ounce cheese. Top with a tomato and a sprinkle of basil and cover with a cucumber coin.
- Enjoy your cucumber sandwich!