If we had a dime for every time we heard… (oh my gosh, clearly, we’re turning into our parents who loved this cliché—a bit unsettling!) But honestly, do you know how many times we’ve heard someone say that there just aren’t good ways to get satisfying amounts of protein in smoothies unless you can tolerate dairy?
Here are a few of our smoothies, in case you’re lookin’
Truly, we get it, when you’re looking for at least 15-20 grams of protein in a meal to help you to stay satisfied so you don’t end up looking for something else to eat a few hours later, Greek yogurt is a great way to help you to achieve that protein. But if you’re looking for a dairy-free or vegan option, it can be a bit more challenging.
(Psst… while they do make lactose-free whey protein powders, some of our more sensitive lactose intolerant clients have noticed that even these affect their stomachs.)
Over the years we’ve felt the pain our lactose intolerant, vegan and dairy-free clients when they want to enjoy a smoothie that would actually promote a healthy weight loss, rather than promoting weight gain…
That’s why we’ve been so thrilled to see pea protein burst into the market and become mainstream! It’s one of the easiest, healthiest and one of the best ways to get protein into your weight loss smoothie—whether you’re lactose intolerant or not!
We love that you don’t have to worry about it spoiling—and it can help you to make a smoothie into a healthy protein-packed meal!
Here’s why pea protein rocks—and why it’s so great in your weight loss smoothie!
• It contains both fiber & protein: If you’ve spent any time on our blog, you know that the magical combination for weight loss is a meal that contains both protein and fiber, to keep you satisfied, your energy on an even keel and keep your blood sugar level stable.
o Power to Pulses! Not many foods contain both protein and fiber, and peas, like all pulses (the delicious, protein-packed, sustainable foods you know as dried peas, beans, lentils and chickpeas) contain this weight loss friendly combo!
• Pssst….fun fact: In 2016 Pulses were named International Year of Pulses (IYP) by the United Nations.
• Research show that pulses (like pea protein), aid in weight loss even when calories aren’t restricted. Check out this 2016 study1, that found that it was just 3/4 cup of pulses per day that worked!
Super Berry Protein Smoothie
The combination of the antioxidant-rich strawberries and blackberries pack a fiber-punch while making this smoothie delightfully sweet and refreshing. The unexpected superstar weight loss ingredient is the protein-packed pea protein, as like all pulses, can aid in weight loss even when calories aren’t restricted and it was also found to be more effective than whey protein at fighting against hunger.
Servings: 1 serving = 16 ounces
• 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
• 1/2 frozen banana
• 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
• 1/2 cup frozen blackberries
• 1 scoop (27 grams) pea protein (We used Garden of Life’s Organic Raw Protein & Greens)
1. Blend Ingredients
Nutrition facts per 16 ounce smoothie: 256 Calories, 35 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 23 g protein, 0 g saturated fat, 10 g fiber
As you happily sip this Pea Protein Weight Loss smoothie, sip on this (more research supporting pulses, berries & weight loss…):
o A study published in Nutrition Journal found that pea protein was more effective at starving off hunger than whey protein; improved satiety can potentially lead to weight loss. Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3295702/
1 Kim SJ, de Souza RJ, Choo VL et al. Effects of dietary pulse consumption on body weight: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27030531
C3G in berries may help with weight loss– check this out!:
11. Tsuda T., Horio F., Uchida K., Aoki H., Osawa T. Dietary cyanidin 3-O-beta-d-glucoside-rich purple corn color prevents obesity and ameliorates hyperglycemia in mice. J. Nutr. 2003;133:2125–2130. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12840166
Photo courtesy of pulses.org
- • 1 cup almond milk
- • ½ frozen banana
- • ½ cup frozen strawberries
- • ½ cup frozen blackberries
- • 1 tbsp pea protein
- Blend Ingredients