Are you gearing up for the fourth of July? It can be hard to get in your vegetable servings during the day amongst all of the hot dogs and burgers so we recommend an iced Red, White and Blue yet “green” smoothie!
There are so many recipes for green smoothies, but here’s a delicious basic one that you can alter to fit your taste buds!
Green smoothies are incredible for keeping your energy levels stable because they combine protein, carbs, and fiber. Protein and fiber extend the energy boost from the carbs so you won’t be the first to burn out from all of the sun and Fourth of July activities. If your Fourth of July requires bikini attire then a green smoothie is a great option for keeping you full and slim, WITHOUT the bloat!
Red, White and Blue, Yet “Green” Smoothie
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach (or any dark leafy greens, such as kale) torn into pieces
- 1 cup of chopped peach slices, frozen
- ½ cup of blueberries, frozen
- Rice milk, regular milk, or soymilk (enough to cover half of the ingredients in the blender)
- 2 TB of honey or agave nectar (optional, the fruit tends to add all the sweetness you’ll need so we suggest trying at first without sweetener. If you need some, start with smaller quantities to see what works for you)
- Ice cubes (optional)
You can use any combination of fruits you love. Other options are frozen bananas, apples, mangoes, raspberries, strawberries, etc. If you’d rather use Greek yogurt instead of milk, just add a little bit of orange juice as well so that it’s not too thick.
In a blender first add the torn pieces of dark leafy green, then add the frozen fruits. Pour in the milk until half of the ingredients are covered. Add the honey or agave nectar. Blend.
Does anyone have Fourth of July plans that require energy? Tammy will be on a plane to Cali with her little ones and keeping them occupied takes a lot of energy. Lyssie will be enjoying the festivities in NYC. We could both use a green smoothie! What are your favorite smoothie ingredients? On what occasions do you reach for the blender?