When we wake up in the morning, the first thing we always do is hydrate with a big glass of water. We’ve done this since we were in high school, long before we were registered dietitians and personal trainers-and it works like magic. But since those days, after all of our nutrition education and seeing what works on us and on our clients, on mornings when we feel like we need something to give us an extra lift, we now have one of our refreshers like our Sparkling Cucumber and Refresh Detoxer or Lemon Mint Detox Drink, Slimming Raspberry Mint Detox Spritzer , Lemon Ginger Detox or we go for one of our smoothies that use the Easiest Way To Get our Greens or we go for this baby–our Kale Recharge Smoothie!
If you’re looking to reboot and recharge after over indulging, this is for you. Our clients tell us they especially love that this smoothie is easy to make and they love knowing that it packs the perfect little punch to nip the trouble (i.e. toxins and weight gain) that have accumulated from over-indulging in less than healthy foods and drink in the bud. That’s because this smoothie packs in the most restorative, nutrient-rich greens and is an absolute reboot for health. We included the greens because they’re nutritional powerhouses and some aid the liver in breaking down and neutralizing toxins while others fight inflammation and the damage it does to the body. They’re also loaded with fiber, which helps to flush waste out your colon–goodbye constipation and unsightly gut bulges from it–hello flatter belly. Oh Yeah! (See more below! ;))
Have a serving of this light smoothie with a lean protein and veggie meal or with a protein-packed snack, like nonfat Greek yogurt– or pair it with a breakfast like a veggie omelet or our Mini Frittata Muffins.
What makes this Kale Recharge Smoothie work it’s magic?
1) All the veggies! We didn’t add the by accident–Adios damage and toxins!
Hello Veggies, bon voyage toxins! Veggies all contain phytonutrients to help prevent destructive particles from injuring cells.
• Glutathione, a protein in veggies grabs toxins and drags them out of our body! Best sources- asparagus, potatoes, peppers, carrots, onion, broccoli, avocados, squash, spinach, garlic, tomatoes
*Notice this smoothie uses fresh, not cooked veggies. That’s because cooking or processing decreases the glutathione bioavailability.
2) It’s loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. That’s why we added all the brightly colored veggies, which will help to neutralize toxins and prevent damage caused from the inflammation that results from overdoing it on less-than-healthy toxin-creating foods and drinks. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory foods actually help to recharge, rejuvenate and revitalize cells.
3) Kale has special “detox” capabilities as it aids the liver in both phases of its detox. That’s one reason why we make so many recipes with Kale! Kale Chips anyone?
4) It’s components help to “flush” you out, helping you to feel lighter. We’re the first to admit we don’t enjoy feeling constipated or bloated from that or having too much salt. That’s why the ingredients in this smoothie are hydrating (80-90% water!) and provide potassium and fiber. This magical combination helps you to flush out bloating sodium from your body, “de-puffing” you and making you feel lighter. The potassium from the veggies will also fight bloat as it helps to counter-balance sodium and restore normal hydration status.
More reasons you get RECHARGED from this smoothie?
The vitamin C:
- It’s coming from the veggies and from the lime and will make your skin glow by promoting collagen formation. Plus it will hydrate your skin (i.e., you’ll glow) and you can kiss goodbye to a puffy face and eyes. 🙂
- It acts as an immune-booster to help strengthen your body after all the havoc it’s just been through.
We love lemons and limes and really spritz them over everything! They are a great flavor sub for salt too.
• The ideal flushing food–packed with potassium and water to restore normal fluid balance and flush out any bloating salt that may be causing you to store water and puffiness.
• Great source of vitamin C
By now you know, this is one of our faves—from our tea to our dinners, we toss it in! 🙂 Ginger soothes the stomach and intestinal tract, and has anti-inflammatory properties that protect cells from harmful free radicals. Ginger is ideal to help you restore your body if you overindulged on fatty, sugary or processed foods (they create inflammation) and if you’ve started the day with tummy troubles.
Kale Recharge Smoothie:
1 frozen, very ripe banana
¾ cup spinach, loosely packed*
3/4 cups curly kale, stems removed, loosely packed*
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1 tsp ginger, grated
1 Tbsp fresh parsley (or cilantro)
1 tsp lime juice
8 ounces water
4 ice cubes
Directions: Place the frozen all of the ingredients in the blender. If you let the drink sit for a while, stir before serving.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 58 calories, 14 g carb, 0 g fat, 2 g protein, 3 g fiber
*Note: You can use 3 Kale or 3 spinach cubes to replace 3/4 cup kale or 3/4 cup spinach, or 6 cubes to replace it all.
You may also enjoy our:
Ginger and Carrot Slim-down Smoothie: Potassium rich cantaloupe and apples round out the phytonutrient-rich ginger and carrots to make this an ideal beverage to restore normal fluid balance
• Detoxifying Green Tea Smoothie: Packed with potassium and water plus phytonutrients to neutralize toxins, this refreshing smoothie is delish.
Apple Cider Vinegar Mint “Detox” Drink:Among many great ingredients that help to flush bloat, it’s got mint–we like to think of it as a peace maker in the body 😉 It eases indigestion and calms the stomach, likely by improving the flow of bile through the stomach, which helps to speed and ease digestion. Thanks in part to it’s anti-inflammatory antioxidant rosmarinic acid, it “calms your insides” to ease the havoc inside your body!
• Slimming Raspberry-mint “Detox” Spritzer: Raspberries and lime make this a drink a potassium winner, and at only 8 calories, you can drink it all day long and flush away bloat without the calories adding up!
- 1 frozen, very ripe banana
- ¾ cup spinach, loosely packed
- ¾ cups curly kale, stems removed, loosely packed
- ½ cup carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley (or cilantro)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 8 ounces water
- 4 ice cubes
- Place the frozen all of the ingredients in the blender. If you let the drink sit for a while, stir before serving.