Guacamole is a great source of healthy fats, but some recipes also add tons of extra unhealthy fats and calories by adding unnecessary ingredients such as sour cream. Make sure your guacamole has no unwanted ingredients by making the dip yourself.
Here’s one of our favorite recipes:
- Mash up 3 Hass avocados.
- Slice two mangoes into ½ inch cubes.
- Slice 1 cup of red grapes in half.
- Dice up two small peppers (we love using hot peppers, but if you don’t like your dip too spicy sweet peppers will work as well) and ½ a medium red onion.
- Mix the peppers, onions, mangoes and grapes in with the mashed avocado.
- Add 2 tablespoons of both chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
And voila! You have a delicious, healthy guacamole.
But remember, even though avocados are full of healthy fats, fats are still high in calories, so limit yourself to a few tablespoons. Also, watch out for the high calorie foods that you typically dip into guacamole. Skip the chips and try dipping some fresh, raw veggies instead! You’ll still get that satisfying crunch without the unwanted calories.
Have you ever tried mixing fruit into your guacamole? How did you like it?