One of the best things about fall is the yummy vegetables and fruits that are ripe and ready for harvest. One of our favorites is pumpkin!
If you’re tired of that go-to rice side dish you always prepare, we’ve got a great idea:
Pumpkin + Millet = Fantastic
This recipe ought to spice up dinner and get you psyched up for the change of season. We know it helps us to ease the pain that our beloved summer will soon be a distant memory. Plus, it’s not only delicious, but nutritious, and appeals to dairy-free and vegan diets. Pair it up with 3 ounces of roasted chicken breast and some steamed veggies.
Creamy Pumpkin with Millet*
Makes 3 servings
- 1 can pumpkin
- 1 C frozen spinach
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t coriander
- 1 t cumin
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 white onion
- ½ T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 C water
- 1 cup millet
- Drain and rinse the can of garbanzo beans. Toss with the cinnamon coriander, cumin and dash of salt.
- Put garbanzo beans on cookie sheet (parchment paper or with cookie spray) and bake at 400* for 15 minutes.
- Prepare millet according to package instructions (2 C boiled water + 1 C millet)
- Dice 1/2 onion and sauté in olive oil until tender.
- Add the can of pumpkin, spinach and salt to the pan with the onions. Stir and put on low heat.
- Add the cooked millet to the pumpkin mix. Add the garbanzo beans.
Voila! Dinner is served!