You say chickpea, we say garbanzo! Whatever you call the legume, it adds a great texture to this scrumptious Chickpea and Pita Salad! This is a fiber packed meal thanks in part to the chickpeas that also help keep your energy at an even keel—so needed during these colder days!
This dish is also a great way to get anti-bloating potassium and vitamins. And wait until you try the dressing!
As if this salad wasn’t already to-die-for without dressing, we flipped over this dressing which adds the distinctive flavors of olives, anchovies, and garlic. Can’t wait to hear what you think!
Chick Pea Pita Salad
- 4 sesame pita breads (If you cannot find sesame pita bread, you can substitute whole wheat pita breads)
- 2 cans (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 4 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, preferably kalamata olives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive tapenade
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Preheat the oven broiler. Split the pita breads in half by cutting them open. Place them on a baking sheet. Toast under the broiler until golden brown and crisp, turning once, then allow to cool. Tear into bite-size pieces.
- Put the chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, scallions, and olives in a serving bowl. For the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, tapenade, mint, and pepper to taste. Drizzle over the vegetables and toss together.
- Just before serving, add the pieces of pita bread and mix well. Serve garnished with sprigs of fresh mint. Serves 8.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 269; Fat: 6g; Carbohydrates: 44g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 11g; Fiber: 8g
What do you make with chickpeas? And do you say garbanzo or chickpea?