Today is the Great American MeatOut Day! This is a day to promote the health and environmental benefits of a plant based diet. Adding more high-fiber beans, whole grains, fruits, and veggies can make a lasting impact on your health and can be quick and easy. Often, a vegan diet is thought to contain only raw foods or foods that “don’t taste good”, but vegan meals can be delish and typically don’t weigh you down and make you feel heavy the way meat does, so they can give you added energy! This side-dish recipe for roasted butternut squash with garlic and parsley is the perfect vegan dish to go alongside a meatless casserole or pasta dish!
Roasted Butternut Squash with Garlic and Parsley
- 2-3 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Toss squash with 2 tsp oil, salt, and pepper. Spread evenly on a baking sheet.
- Roast, stirring occasionally, for 30-45 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (approx. 30 sec-1 min).
- Toss the roasted squash with sautéed garlic and chopped parsley.